video games, re-
runs on hulu and netflix,
and ice cream and beer.
i’m so glad you’re home!
you’re my favorite person
in the whole, wide world.
You’ll notice it’s been awhile since I posted a TiLT. From the worst Tuesday to a busy season at work, it’s been hard for me to stop and really grasp onto gratitude. But that’s not an excuse. There is always something to be grateful for, and when you don’t choose to acknowledge it, it only hurts you. Amidst Dax’s illness and all the other craziness of my life that is beyond my control, I should have made it a priority to sit down and record the things for which I am grateful to preserve my spirit. I didn’t, and that was detrimental to my already precarious situation.
BUT IT IS A NEW DAY OF A NEW WEEK! And each day is another second chance to get it right.
THINGS FOR WHICH I AM GRATEFUL THIS WEEK:
- Second chances.
- My little boy is thirteen months old! BAH. Look at all that cuteness. JUST LOOK AT IT AND TELL ME IT DOESN’T MAKE YOU GO, “!!!”
- Jars of Clay’s new album isn’t out yet, but it’s streaming for free here. You’re welcome.
- The time after Dax goes to bed but before Dan and I go to bed.
- Dinners in.
- The ability to rent movies from Amazon WITHOUT LEAVING THE HOUSE! (Go go gadget laziness!)
- The sound of acoustic pianos.
- Knowing enough about food that I can whip up some sort of dinner from whatever is in the kitchen.
- Smoothies that hide spinach.
- Encouraging text messages.
- Silly Snapchats.
- Long naps.
- Getting encouraging messages about how my blog has helped others. (Also file this under THINGS THAT MADE ME CRY THIS WEEK.)
- Needing to drive to Ft. Myers for work, which allows for lots of drive-jamming.
- When Dan’s Galaxy-equivalent of Siri says, “Ft. Myers” she pronounces it, “Eff-Tee Myers.”
- Making friends!
- Splurging on new clothes for the first time in OH I DON’T KNOW EVER?
- Meeting and chatting up Ileanna, born and raised in Athens, Greece, who did my pedicure this past weekend. What a lovely person. Seriously.
- Randomly ballroom dancing in the middle of Barnes & Noble.
- Dax signs for “milk” now! He doesn’t do it correctly — he waves instead of squeezes — but I know what he’s trying to say because he always accompanies it with pulling on my shirt.
- Baby sea turtles!
- A parody of “Teach Me How to Dougie” that is “Teach Me How To Breastfeed.” It’s equally hilarious and informative! Do yourself a favor, if you’re not squeamish about boobs, and take a gander.
- Bath time.
- Dax finding it hilarious when Dan pretends to barf.
- Not sure why, but lately, Dax is mega snuggly-clingy. Like all he does all day is nurse and cuddle. It’s bad for homemaking productivity but I am savoring it.
What do you love this week?
Four years ago today I married my favorite person in the entire world — this guy.
In some ways, I can’t believe it’s ONLY been four years. In other ways, it feels like we’ve only been married for a minute and a half.
Either way, I love being married to this guy. So today’s TILT is for him. If that makes you hurl, sorry! Feel free to click the X in the top corner.
THINGS I LOVE ABOUT BEING MARRIED (TO DAN IN PARTICULAR):
- When we go on dates, I typically take off my makeup first, not because I’ve “let myself go” but because he prefers my bare face. (Sup, zits.)
- This morning, right after we woke up, I demanded (seriously) that he make us pancakes. And he got right up and did it.
- He has a beard which I never thought I’d like but now I do. (Don’t shave it!)
- Because he’s such a reckless sleeper, we don’t use a flat sheet because it just (somehow?) ends up in a weird, knotted mess at the foot of the bed. HOORAY, LESS LAUNDRY!
- He also refuses to buy new underwear (“It doesn’t matter if there are holes in them… they still work!”) so, again, HOORAY LESS LAUNDRY!
- He gets up in the middle of the night for both Dax AND me, with very little complaining.
- If I text him, “COME HOME WITH BEER PLZ I HAD A HARD DAY MUST DRINK ALL THE DRINKS” he’s like, “You got it.”
- His big ears and his fuzzy chest and his strong arms.
- His laugh.
- HE IS SUCH A NERD OMG IT ALMOST HURTS SOMETIMES.
- Ask him what he’s doing at 2:30 on any given day and he will always tell you he’s going to be at the dentist. (Because it’s “tooth-hurty”.)
- He loves to drive and I hate to drive so he always drives.
- He has the worst memory of all time which is GREAT because it means he has no idea that we’ve ever had a fight. (We have, by the way.)
- He’s so ridiculously in love with me. Like, it really doesn’t make sense.
- He can make our baby giggle like no one else.
- He always puts us first.
- Except for Spider-Man.
Happy anniversary, Dan! Chant it with me, now! FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!
What do you love this week?
It’s REALLY hot out and it storms everyday. But, so long as you time your day right, you don’t get caught in it and everything is great!
THINGS THAT MADE ME SMILE THIS WEEK:
- Catching up with THIS GUY over a hoard of technologies in one sitting.
- My Fridays out to myself.
- Meeting lovely girls who want to watch my baby.
- Going to the farmers market alone, even though it was terribly hot.
- Crepes for breakfast!
- Having my husband home on Sunday after a long week.
- Finally getting into a routine with Dax.
- Cooking. (I know — who am I?)
- A much-needed hour-long phone conversation with my dear friend Andrea.
- Going to Starbucks and not buying anything. (What are you gonna do? I used your WiFi, too! #AMERICA)
- Hashtags in texts.
- Also, #hashtag.
- Birthday texts.
- Learning fun songs.
- Accidentally making old people blush which, in turn, made me blush.
- Whenever Dan comes home.
- Whenever Dan goes to work (because he loves it, and that is fun to watch!).
- Secret DIY projects.
- Outings with my little guy.
- Dax now mimics us when we stick out our tongues and when we “fake” cough. So fun!
- Donut Day!
- Jammin’ with new musician friends!
- Also, doing so on a piano that once belonged to Sir Elton. (I DIE.)
- Ordering chinese food in.
- Dax’s first spaghetti!
- I know I’ve said it already but the sunsets here are seriously killer.
- Running with Dan and Dax in the morning when it’s not a bajillion degrees yet.
- Random accents.
- Nursing Dax until he falls asleep on me. I love that he still does that at almost 1 year old.
- How is my baby almost a year old?!?! Whatever — best year of my life!
- The demise of wedding-related garments. It’s sad, but it still made me smile, because it reminded me of the day I married my favorite person in the whole world.
- His beard.
What do YOU love this week, people?!
Because what else could I possibly want?
Today is my sweet husband Dan’s birthday! He’s 26 today which, yes, means I’m exactly five weeks older than him. (Scandalous, I know.)
So, here’s a TILT list just for him! I love you, Dan! Hope your birthday is great!
Courtesy: Ashley Poole Photography
THINGS ABOUT MY HUSBAND THAT MAKE ME SMILE:
- He’s the only guy I’ve ever been with who’s younger than me. Clearly, it’s the only way.
- He loves cats just as much as I do (evidenced by the fact that the first thing he did on his birthday was watch cat videos on his cell phone.)
- He proposed to me at a Sarah Mac Band show which, even before I even knew him, was the way I wanted to be proposed to and I NEVER ARTICULATED THIS.
- He’s super cuddly.
- He has really soft chest hair (I swear, it’s like unicorn fur or something.)
- He has big ears that I pray get passed on to our children.
- He worked his butt off to get his college degree (a double major, no less!)
- He’s really smart. Like, really smart.
- He always nails the answer for Final Jeopardy.
- He always cooks for me.
- When I have a bad day, he insists that I take a bath and let him do my chores.
- He supports me in everything I attempt.
- He has written me songs. As in, more than one song. And yes, they are on my iPod.
- He’s an expert litter box cleaner.
- He always gets up in the middle of the night to tend to the cats because he knows that if I get up, I won’t go back to sleep.
- He probably would expect me to mention the cats at least three times on this list.
- He wrote me a letter once when we were dating and I lived in London and signed it, “Your sexy American boyfriend.”
- He challenges me (in the good way.)
- He has the most contagious smile.
- He has almost every song Weird Al has ever recorded on his iPod.
- He scratches my back or gives me a massage whenever I ask him to without complaining. (I cannot say the same for myself.)
- He plays guitar.
- He’s a great writer (better than me, I think) and an avid reader.
- He tries SO HARD to love me in my love languages.
- He always wants to “fix” things that bother me.
- He makes me laugh.
- He loves me in spite of me.
- He knows the real meaning of grace.
- He is perfect for me.
Have a great day, my love. You are everything to me!
Your Sexy American Wife