Over the past five(ish) years, I’ve gotten into a pretty complicated relationship.
No, not with Dan. That relationship is great and fine!
I’m talking about my relationship with running.
A few years ago, Running and I were, like, inseparable. Things got pretty serious when I did a half-marathon in February of 2011, but they tapered off when I tore my ACL later that year and then (while in recovery) got pregnant. (Hey, at least I was getting SOME exercise! HEYOOO. Sorry, Mom.)
I never thought Running would ever come back to me. I thought that, once my ACL was torn and that my kid was born, taking away every tiny ounce of energy I have in me, Running was “just someone that I used to know.”
But turns out Running is pretty forgiving and we’ve been seeing each other again lately. And I gotta say, it’s almost like things never changed.
(Well, except that my right knee kind of pops every other stride now but HEY it still works, so…)
Anytime I pass another runner on one of my runs, I always think the same thing:
“WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO ON YOUR iPOD?! IS IT MUSIC? AN AUDIOBOOK? A THIS AMERICAN LIFE PODCAST?!?!?!”
Running is, like 99% mental, 1% physical, so a killer running playlist is essential. You can’t just put your iPod on shuffle and just hope for the best because you know the second you do that, your iPod will retaliate by ONLY playing every slow, boring ballad in your library and you’ll give up and go home and check on Kathie Lee and Hoda.
Seriously it takes everything in me to not stop other runners and demand they tell me what’s on their running playlist because IT’S THAT IMPORTANT.
So, in the event that you think that about me, let me erase all inquiry:
SONGS LINDSAY RUNS TO:
- “Rise Up” – David Crowder Band. There is no better, GET UP AND KICK BUTT song than this one.
- “Rumour Has It” – Adele. Makes me want to run to my most recent ex’s house and punch him square in the jaw.
- “Miss Murder” – AFI. Because angst.
- “Dance Inside” – All American Rejects. Perfect lyrics for the point in your run where you are starting to feel like garbage. “I’ll be fine/I’ll be fine/Is this fine?/I’m not fine!”
- “Say This Sooner” – The Almost. Skank-tastic!
- “What The Hell” – Avril Lavigne. CONFESSION: I could just put this one song on repeat and it would be enough to get me to run/dance anywhere. It’s infectious.
- “Lonely Boy” – The Black Keys. I mean? Duh.
- “Lazy Sunday” – Chris Parnell & Andy Samberg. For two reasons: it’s hilarious, and they rap about cupcakes, which I don’t feel guilty craving once I’m finished running.
- “So Serious” – Electric Light Orchestra. I picked this song for no other reason than it reminds me of my husband who is, hands down, the funniest person on the planet to me and I just can’t help but smile when I hear it.
- “Robots” – Flight of the Conchords. Ditto to the above.
- “Shelter” – Jars of Clay. A favorite that will never get old, perfect for a cool down.
What’s on your running playlist? Please just comment and tell me so I don’t have to maul you the next time I see you out for a jog.