I can’t tell you how many emails/Facebook messages I’ve received from people saying things like, “I just don’t know how to be happy with my weight” or “I don’t know how to look in the mirror and not hate my reflection,” etc. They think that because they’ll never lose “enough” weight or have clear “enough” skin or rock toned “enough” thighs that they can’t possibly ever be in love with themselves and their bodies. That’s so sad to me, but it’s a fact. In our airbrushed, photoshopped, perfection-obsessed, objectifying world, most of us are in that boat; we literally do not know how to accept ourselves, let alone love ourselves.
So, the most frequent question I get is, “How can I love myself?”
The first thing you must know about self-love is that, sadly, it doesn’t happen overnight. Not only have we all been immersed in this beauty-obsessed world for years, but we also wake up to it every, single day; we can’t just decide one morning to break down the paradigm we’ve clung to for years in one positive comment. Some days you’ll be on fire. Some days, not so much. But no matter what, you have to commit to fighting against it each morning because as soon as you leave your house you’re going to be stepping out into a world that profits from your self-hatred.
Because I like organization and themes (and alliteration!) I’ve decided to try something new: TUESDAY TIPS of self-love. Each Tuesday I’ll post a little somethinsomethin that I do each day to remind myself that I’m worth loving. I encourage each and every one of you to take a vow right now (go ahead, raise your right hand) that on every Tuesday I post a self-love tip that you try it. Maybe not that day. Maybe not even that week. But at least try it at some point.
Since today is my first ever try at this, I’m starting out simple.
TODAY’S SELF-LOVE TIP: SMILE.
And then take an awkward picture of yourself doing it. Just kidding! That’s just me.
Reasons you should smile each day:
- The obvious: smiling makes you look even more attractive! This morning when I first woke up, I was rocking some bedhead and crusty eyes. But I smiled at my husband and he immediately expressed that I was so pretty! If me smiling can bust through my just-woke-up look, I might as well do it more often during the day.
- It lightens your mood and reduces stress. Smile more, and you’ll be happy more!
- It’s contagious. It’s almost IMPOSSIBLE for me to not smile when someone smiles at me. Spread the love!
- It’s a drug. When you smile, your body releases endorphins which make you feel good. (Exercise does too, FYI.) Heck yeah!
- It boosts your immune system. Your immune system recharges when you’re sleeping or relaxed, and smiling relaxes you.
It may not seem like much, but smiling every day really does wonders for you. Give it a try. And remember, self-love is a journey you take one step at a time.